Thursday, November 20, 2008

Greece (POSTED BY BEN!!!)

Ok, this is my first blog entry, so cut me a little slack.  First, A little background information without it sounding like a history lesson.  The Acropolis is the entire area where all of the buildings were built, the most famous being the Parthenon.  It was completed in 438 BC, which is pretty impressive considering the U.S. is only about 230 years old.  The Acropolis is centrally located in Athens, and was used for defense purposes if the city was under attack.  Now, back to my pictures.  The one above is me in front of the Parthenon.  All of the scaffolding takes away from the experience a little, but there is a major restoration project going on.  Other than that, they've managed to leave the site as original as possible, meaning that there aren't a lot of new safety rails, visitor information signs, etc.


This picture has the Parthenon in the background with the Temple of Nike Athena (I think)  to the right.  One kind of odd thing to mention, is that there are a lot of stray dogs all over the place.  I assumed that they live there because they were very comfortable with all of the tourists.
Nothing very significant, just another goofy picture of me in front of the Temple of Nike Athena (again, I think).  My coworker took more pictures of the site, and when I get them, I'll add them to the blog.

Melissa has posted some of my other pictures in the slide show.  Enjoy.






2 comments:

Katie said...

So jealous! Ben, I'm impressed you contributed to the blog.

JILL said...

Glad you're back safe and sound! The pictures are great! Hope you had a wonderful trip!